About Vision To Learn:
Vision To Learn is the largest school-based vision care nonprofit in the country. VTL exists to address one basic premise – if you can’t see, you can’t learn. Vision To Learn provides free eye exams and free glasses to students in underserved communities to help them succeed in school and in life. Founded in Los Angeles in 2012, Vision To Learn has since expanded to schools across the country. Vision care is critical as 80% of all learning during a child’s first 12 years is visual, we work to solve the problem of lack of access by partnering with school districts to provide eye exams and glasses at no charge to families. We have provided over 2 million vision screenings, 410,000 eye exams and 330,000 new, prescription glasses in the last decade.
In exciting news, Vision To Learn has been selected by two-time Pulitzer Prize winning New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof as a recipient of the 2022 Holiday Impact Prize recognizing non-profits helping children in need through outstanding, heroic work that changes communities for the better. https://kristofimpact.org/ http://tiny.cc/VTLKristof
The work done by VTL has also been featured in The Washington Post, ESPN, PBS News Hour, countless local television pieces and newspaper articles. VTL was commended by the US Senate in a bi-partisan resolution signed by 43 Senators. In terms of evidence-based service, glasses provided by VTL have been found to have a high impact on the academic success of students by researchers at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital and Johns Hopkins University.
We are looking for an experienced Optician like you to join our team with a positive, proactive attitude, and commitment to our mission.
Vision To Learn is currently seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time experienced Optician in the Detroit Metropolitan/Eastern Michigan area. Work hours are Monday thru Friday with 2-3 Saturdays per year. The Optician will primarily work during school hours, and this position will start in December 2022.
Key position responsibilities include:
- Oversee assigned mobile eye clinic operation
- Conduct eye exam pre-tests, maintain optimal professional standards
- Take measurements, fit and adjust frames for patients according to written optical prescriptions
- Assist patients with frame selections to ensure optimal fit and patient satisfaction
- Complete and prepare daily reports, and meet deadlines
- Make follow-up calls to patient caregivers for feedback
- Conduct vision screenings using a Welch Allyn Spot Check Vision Screener
- Dispense glasses to large group of student patients
- Study and follow Vision To Learn health and safety protocols.
- Maintain optimal driver safety standards when driving, parking, and using the vehicle
- Setup the clinic, monitor and replenish inventory, and ensure all patient and administrative paperwork facilitates an efficient workflow each workday
- Load, secure, inspect and fuel vehicle as necessary
- Keep vehicle and internal work areas clean and organized at all times
Additional responsibilities as needed:
- Ability to display exceptional interpersonal skills when interacting with children, site contacts, patient families, and in all internal/external work interactions
- Desire to work in a face-paced, dynamic environment and have technical skills
- Desire to be cross trained to expand your skillset
- Self-starter who is confident to implement Vision To Learn protocols and embrace a remote setting with limited supervision
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs. and to exert well-paced mobility for an 8-hour shift including standing, walking, bending and squatting
· Experienced Optician 3yrs+
- Valid driver's license required, with a good driving record and familiarity with phone GPS
- Successful track record of working with children and diverse types of people
- Must pass company and CMS background checks and drug test
- Experience using Microsoft Office – Outlook, Excel, Word; ability to quickly learn EHR reporting, and project management systems is a plus
- Spanish skills a plus
For more information, please visit www.visiontolearn.org. Qualified applicants please send cover letter and full resume.
Vision To Learn is committed to a diverse staff and to a culture that holds equity as a value and a priority. VTL welcomes applicants who bring a variety of perspectives, experiences, and competencies. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ persons are strongly encouraged to apply. VTL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.
As a direct healthcare provider and to protect the health and well-being of our employees, VTL has implemented best practices for ensuring a clean and safe work environment. Employees will be asked to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and pass a background checks), TB and drug tests.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay Scale: $19 hourly-$21 hourly
Required Experience: 3 yr. Optician
Please include cover letter and full resume.